Mosquito Prevention Tips
Mosquitoes bugging you? Take back your yard by following the ‘5 Ds’.
Top 5 Mosquito Prevention Tips
- DUMP – Mosquitoes require water to complete their life cycle. Once a week, carefully inspect your property and dump out any water in containers such as tires, plant drainers, wheelbarrows, buckets, etc. Remember that mosquitoes can develop in a bottle cap! Remove or cover containers if possible.
- DRAIN – Things such as kiddy pools, clogged gutters and bird baths can produce hungry bloodsuckers in a week. Drain them regularly.
- DRESS – When practical, wear clothing that covers as much of your skin as possible. Wear long pants, long-sleeved shirts, and socks. Some kinds of mosquitoes just LOVE biting around the ankles! Some stores sell clothing that is factory-impregnated with insect repellent.
- DEET – When needed, use insect repellent that has an EPA-registered active ingredient. Read more here: https://www.cdc.gov/zika/prevention/prevent-mosquito-bites.html
- DUSK/DAWN – Peak mosquito biting activity occurs around dusk and dawn. Avoid being outside at these times if possible. If you can’t, dress appropriately and use repellent. Note, however, that some kinds of mosquitoes, especially those that transmit Zika, chikungunya and dengue prefer to bit during the DAYTIME hours.
Captain Stan Cope (aka the Mosquito Man) is our Vice President of Technical Services, learn more about him here: https://catchmasterpro.com/blog/stan-cope-phd/
Mosquito Prevention – Additional Resources
Get more content like this daily when you follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/catchmasterPRO/
Sign up for our mailing list here: https://catchmasterpro.com/join-email/
For help with mosquito season 2020 & beyond, discover Catchmaster® mosquito management tools: https://catchmasterpro.com/collection/mosquito-management-tools/
Finally, learn more about mosquitoes from the NPMA here: https://www.pestworld.org/pest-guide/mosquitoes/