Spring is in the air and the mosquitoes are sure to follow – here are 10 mosquito prevention tips to get your yard ready for mosquito season.
In short, containing the little biters comes down to eliminating some of the conditions that make your property so attractive in the first place.
10 Mosquito Prevention Tips for Your Yard
- Search thoroughly for and remove or cover anything that can hold water.
- Remove, cover or drill holes in used tires. Drill so that water completely drains. Do the same if you have a tire swing.
- Drill holes in the bottom of recycling containers. Ensure that lids for garbage cans are in good repair.
- Beware of items such as buckets, wheelbarrows and recycling containers that have a ‘lip’ when flipped over. The lip will collect water and organic matter, enough to welcome a new generation of mosquitoes in just 5-7 days.
- Clean clogged gutters.
- Check that all windows, screens and doors are tight-fitting and in good repair.
- Scrub birdbaths thoroughly with a brush. This will remove mosquito eggs.
- Cover in-ground drains with hardware cloth to prevent mosquito breeding.
- Fill in low-lying areas where water regularly collects and remains.
- Inspect and remove water from tarps or plastic used to cover items.
Captain Stan Cope (aka the Mosquito Man) is the Vice President of Technical Services for the Catchmaster brand, learn more here: https://catchmasterpro.com/blog/stan-cope-phd/
Mosquito Prevention – Additional Resources
Get more content like this daily when you follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/catchmasterPRO/
Sign up for our mailing list here: https://catchmasterpro.com/join-email/
For help with mosquito season 2020 & beyond, discover Catchmaster® mosquito management tools: https://catchmasterpro.com/collection/mosquito-management-tools/
Finally, learn more about mosquitoes from the NPMA here: https://www.pestworld.org/pest-guide/mosquitoes/